Linux for small business

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 15:58:44 -0500 (CDT)

> Indeed you are correct that prop software can be damaging to a business,
> add that to the additional costs and threats and the lost cost of
> conversion today and you have a very very strong argument for switching
> over post haste..

We agree here.  I just think its worth making the point it may not always
be cheaper in 'dollars' to convert, but in the LONG run its well worth it.

> There is no reason to switch to Linux just to spite Microsoft but rather
> to save big bucks over time.

Again where I really have a problem with this, is in touting Free
Software's sole value as 'saving big bucks'.  The point I was trying to
make is
that you get real freedoms with 'free software' that are more than
'monetary value'.  A nice and good side effect is of course that many of
these freedoms lower the cost of doing business.

> I am working on converting some small business to Linux, it works, it's
> cheap and it's solid. The tests are showing that the adverage office
> worker does not percieve the difference, they log in, they edit files
> they print files, they leave.

Yes this is true.  I happen to fairly aware of the fact that GNU/Linux and
free software is viable for small, mid and large enterprises.  I think you
have misunderstood my argument.  I am not a propenent of windows.
However, simply saying windows is expensive and microsoft sucks, does
little justice to the Free Software Movement. :)

-Derek