Linux for small business

David Mandala plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
26 Apr 2002 12:10:11 -0700

I am sorry that you don't think it is accurate. So some points:

It is quite clear that you have not looked at KDE & Open Office in the
last 6 months. There is very little if any retraining costs involved.
Since they primarly use the accounting software that will still be
installed there again there is no cost of retraining.

The single cost of converting might be canning your windows admin and
hiring a Linux/Unit one, but since the costs are the same again there is
no new costs involved. Well actually it does cost money any time you
fire and hire so there would be some costs associated there. Hower if
the business outsources its support which many that size do (<25
systems) you simply outsource to a Linux/Unix shop/person.

If the people used lots of packages there might be some retraining costs
involved but if the packages used are basicly Office the existing
replacements use the same key strokes and memus systems that are close
enough to the MS Office menus as to more equilavant to a MS upgrade
where they change their menu structure a small amount.

In a Windows 95  - 98 environment there is no way to control what gets
installed, if the user has access to the machine they can install
anything. Windows NT, 2k and XP change taht but the described systems
would require an upgrade (more money spent) to gain that ability.

Now in terms of the BSA if you are using Linux and know what is
installed on your machines you can simple tell the BSA to take a hike.
They can try for a court order but they will have to show proof that you
own a software package that they are entitled to addit. Then and only
then MIGHT a judge grant a court order to gain access to your systems.
Then they could possible do an audit.

The BSA's hammer is that they will put it too you if you don't allow
them volantary access and the manage to gain access and you are out of
complance you get hit with the cost of their audit and fines. If you are
using open source software their threat is nill, you can not be out of
complance if you are all open source.

If you only have one machine that is Microsoft and that is closly held
in complance again you have no fears let them audit at their cost and
you are clear.

If you have a larger installed base of Microsoft machines the odds are
you are out of complance somewhere and more then likely lots of
somewheres since somebody will have installed something and you are on
the hook for it.Look at the school systems in Washington state and look
at the threats they are now facing.

Indeed you are correct that prop software can be damaging to a business,
add that to the additional costs and threats and the lost cost of
conversion today and you have a very very strong argument for switching
over post haste..

There is no reason to switch to Linux just to spite Microsoft but rather
to save big bucks over time.

I am working on converting some small business to Linux, it works, it's
cheap and it's solid. The tests are showing that the adverage office
worker does not percieve the difference, they log in, they edit files
they print files, they leave.

Cheers,

Davidm