Appletalk and Linux

Shawn Rutledge plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 17:04:11 -0700

Yes, I've used it, it works well enough.  You can share printers and
files from a Linux server to the Macs, and in theory I think you
can go the other direction too but I haven't tried that.

Getting them to show up in the chooser isn't always very simple,
depending on which MacOS you're using.  Something about their concept of
"domains" or whatever they call their namespaces.  In System 7 there
wasn't any such partitioning, and all Macs could see each other; in newer
systems (greater than 7.1 maybe? not sure) I think the chooser ignores
services which aren't on the same domain, or something like that.  I
tried to get the chooser working on a MacOS 9 system, failed, and ended
up breaking it for the older systems in the process.

But... at one point I did really have the old IIci seeing both Linux file
shares and printers in the chooser, and printing via the network to my
LaserJet II (with Ghostscript, so as far as the Mac was concerned it was
a real Postscript laser).  It took most of one Saturday to get that far
as I recall.

On OS9 I ended up having to type in the IP address to access a file
share, rather than finding it in the chooser.

--
  _______                   Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD  ecloud@bigfoot.com
 (_  | |_)                       http://ecloud.org  kb7pwd@kb7pwd.ampr.org