Linux for small business

Terence Chang plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 13:38:00 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All:

I only have experience on linux for desktop use 5% of
my time. My friend would like to know if they can use
Linux for the small business. This is what they have.

1. 20 PCs with either Win95 and Win98 installed.
2. A 7MB DSL line goes into the office.
3. One DSL/Router/Hug to shared the internet to every
PCs.
4. One dual PIII 600 512MB memory server with Win2000
and a shareware email server.

This is what they need.
1. A firewall to secured the intranet
2. A mail server that can sent and receive company's
email
3. A File server, so they can share the files
(samba?).
4. Every employee will need to logon to the network to
access internet/intranet. Is it something like domain
controller, Active Directory and LDAP in NT
environment?
5. Of course Apache Web Server and MySQL and PHP for
internal web site. (I cna do this)
6. Virus protection.

My friend try to cut the cost by not using MS
solutions (MS SQL, MS Exchange, MS ISA, IIS, etc).
What Linux Package should he buy to get all those
capabilities? They are not going to get rid of win 95
and 98, because some account software are installed.

Is it difficult to setup that up? What will be the
average price for all this? I think I will be the
person to do this. It is a challenge to me though. :-)
Can you do all this on that Dual PIII server?

I use Mandrake as my second desktop, but i have never
setup firewall, router and mail server on Linux. Can
anyone provide some resource that I can check out?

Thank you for help!

=====
Terence Chang
peanutlen@yahoo.com