PCMCIA CF Card

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 22:41:48 -0700

"Eric Katherman" <vaiod@berloy.com> wrote:

> Does anybody know how (and if) I can get one of those PCMCIA Compact
> Flash cards to work /w Linux.  I am using SuSE 8.0 PRO on a Gateway
Solo
> 2550 and the PCMCIA card is a BSA card.  Any pointers would be great!

As a matter of fact, I picked one up this afternoon. I'm running Debian
2.2 (unstable) with PCMCIA support working on Dell laptops. When I plug
the card in, I get a message indicating it's been recognized by the
PCMCIA subsystem. The message includes a reference to the device
(/dev/hdi with a reference to IDE device 4 IIRC -- I'm not able to bring
it up at the moment). Specifics on your system may vary.

After that:

mount -t vfat /dev/hdi1 /mnt/flash

(after mkdir /mnt/flash natch) works just fine. They come preformated
with FAT, but cfdisk seems to have seen it just fine as /dev/hdi.

I'm using it to transfer data to/from logging probes I'm using at a
client site with no outside network connectivity. Very slick and easy to
use. I'm using the $20 Apacer adapter and budget $40 BSA 128MB CF card
from Fry's... and despite all that, it STILL works! :)

- Bob