Gentoo rocks -> Debian vs. Gentoo

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 01:06:27 -0700

> Err maybe ease of use isn't the point I should have
> been stressing. Like Tony said even debians unstable
> branch seems a little too dated. That's actually the
> main reason I switched to gentoo. I didn't want to
> wait for the 4.2.0 debian package, and my video card
> wasn't supported in 4.1.1 (which was the newest
> version available at the time if I remember right).

I dont want to sound like a Debian Zealot here, but unstable being dated sounds kind of funny.  I mean unless you are purely a 'hobbyist' I cant imagine running every package from CVS.

How long has 4.2.0 of X been out?  BTW: I am in the same boat I have a CyberBlade that would be better off with 4.2.0, but with a little hacking I got decent support in 4.1.x.  FWIW: This is an odd case where Debian is moving Testing to Stable and so they have moved ALL efforts into freezing and making the move.  So the Xfree86 developer (Branden) was not able to devote time to 4.2 packaging in full yet.  A little foot work and I bet you could find 'unofficial 4.2' packages.

> Plus I think "Larry the Cow" is a better mascot than
> that little debian swirl thing ;).

Now that is a darn good reason.  I only like Linux better than BSD cause Tux is cooler than BSD Demon. ;)

-Derek