Gentoo rocks -> Debian vs. Gentoo

bob smith plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 23:59:11 -0700 (PDT)

--- Tony Wasson <ajwasson@inficad.com> wrote:
> While I haven't installed Gentoo yet,  I'll shoot
> from the hip with my 5-ish
> years of experience with debian.
>
> With debian, you can run servers as 'stable' and get
> solid, mostly no-fuss
> installation of many programs. Dependencies are
> usually worked out for you
> and as long as everything you need (it might be old)
> is in the stable
> stream, it's quite easy.
> Downside of debian: If you want cutting edge stuff,
> you will need to mess
> with the packaging system and may be frustrated.
> Even 'unstable' isn't
> always cutting edge,
> read-about-it-on-freshmeat-this-morning.
>
> I see gentoo being awesome for someone who 1) has a
> clue, 2) likes control
> over their systems 3) has time to compile
> everything.

Err maybe ease of use isn't the point I should have
been stressing. Like Tony said even debians unstable
branch seems a little too dated. That's actually the
main reason I switched to gentoo. I didn't want to
wait for the 4.2.0 debian package, and my video card
wasn't supported in 4.1.1 (which was the newest
version available at the time if I remember right).

Plus I think "Larry the Cow" is a better mascot than
that little debian swirl thing ;).