Gentoo rocks

Mon, 22 Apr 2002 20:56:00 -0700 (MST)

Am 21. Apr, 2002 schwätzte David A. Sinck so:

> Soo...given that I'm about to majorly upgrade an aging box I have,
> could I hear some lucid, preferably not too flamming, coversation
> about debian vs gentoo?

For an 'aging' box the gentoo install's gonna suck, but having code compiled
for the architecture will help speed up performance once you have it
installed.

You can do the same thing with debian and rpm dists ( though debian-based
will be the only ones with good dependency support at this point ( well,
maybe S.u.S.E. ) and it's source-build dependencies do have probs ).

Source build is nice, but it's not that nice. You can do it with deb- and
rpm-bases systems. The advantage there is that they build binary packages
that can then be installed places that don't have the build tools. I don't
want my firewall to have a compiler. It didn't have room for one until
recently.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  Practice socially consious hedonism. Do whatever you want,