Lots of telnet sessions

Trent Shipley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 10:38:35 -0700

It reminds me of what happens to telco apps when a telephone protocol is
violated.  One end of the connection is left to guess about the other end.

There is a *nice* way to end a telnet session (exit the telneted remote
session, exit telnet).  And a typical way to end a telnet session...just kill
the shell supporting the telnet connection.

My bet is that when the telnet protocol is violated (and that is almost
always) the telnet process spawned by the telnet server panics trying to
contact its lost client before it times out and dies.

There might be a disconnect timeout that is set for about two minutes.

One test would be to see if it behaves the same way when you go through a
full telnet disconnect protocol.  If it still takes two minutes to kill the
forked server process then this theory is bunk.