Lots of telnet sessions

Bill Warner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
22 Apr 2002 09:43:32 -0700

Anyone with experience on Linux with large numbers of users telneted in?
(500+)

9:23am  up 1 day,  8:50, 482 users,  load average: 143.52, 87.73, 44.33

typical usage is ~4-5 load

When ever a connection drops from a user the telnetd seems to spin out
of control for about 2 minutes before finally dieing.  Some times one of
our off site clients with a shacky t1 line drops 100+ users.  We are
keeping track of it with a script that parses a ps -ef and hunts down
and kills these processes as fast as it can find them.  This seems like
quite a hack to me :)

also,

has anyone seen where a ps will take a long time to run.  I know we have
quite a race condition (that hasn't really affected us that we know of)
in the way our script runs, because a ps seems to take from 2-5minutes
to run.  This is a system with 2k processes at any one time.

any suggestions would be cool.

Thanks

ps...for the security concerned about telnet running this is all on a
firewalled lan.  the off site connection is a dedicated t1.  These
systems don't send any traffic over the Internet directly.  Although not
great for keeping out inside hackers we are pretty secure from the
Internet.

--
Bill Warner
Unix/Linux Admin.

Company required stuff:

Contents are Direct Alliance Corporation Confidential

This message is for the designated recipient(s) only and contains
Direct Alliance Corporation privileged and confidential information.
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete the original. Any other use of this email is prohibited.