PLUG-discuss digest, Vol 1 #2154 - 14 msgs

Matt plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 09:36:12 -0700

Message: 6
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 14:00:26 -0700
From: "John (EBo) David" <ebo@leml.la.asu.edu>
Subject: Re: Monitor troubles
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us

Matt wrote:

> I swapped a new monitor onto my computer, and while trying to make it look
> better in SaX2, I screwed it up somehow. The monitor went black although
> still on, so Irestarted. SuSE went through all the graphical logging stuff
> where it initiates everything and puts "done" in green over to the side.
But
> when it gets to the login screen, it goes black. I tried logging in just
> knwoing that the login is selected, and I can sucessfully log in. The
screen
> is still black, but I hear the KDE login jingle. I vaguely remember
> accidentally setting the refresh rate to 150mhz at 1204x768, so I think
> that's the problem. Starting with safe settings doesn't work, and neither
> does putting my old monitor back in. The new one is an iiyama VisionMaster
> 450. How do I change the refresh rate without logging in? My distro is
SuSE
> 7.3 personal. Thanks for the help with this, and my numerous other
> questions. Someday I'll get this stuff.

ummm... setting it back to something reasonable would be good, but it is
my understanding that setting the refresh rates really off can damage
it.  I hope you did not fry it...

  EBo --
If you'd re-read my question, you'd know that was not possible. It goes
black at the login screen, and never comes off black, but it does show
color, etc, fine up until that point.