Help with setting Function key values in console

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 16:52:09 -0700

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 04:25:55PM -0700, Matt Alexander wrote:

> I used loadkeys to set this up:
>
> # loadkeys
> keycode 63 = F55
> string F55 = "^[[6~"
>
> If I press the F5 key while on the console, it prints this string.
> However, the app on the server behaves as if I'm actually typing in each
> of those characters individually, and that's not what I want.  The box I'm
> testing this on is Mandrake 8.2.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions on how to make this work or where I might
> find more information on how to configure this, I'd appreciate it.
> Thanks,
> ~M

You'll notice that when you press F5 on your console, that the ^[ is treated
as two separate characters. The reason this happens, is because the ^[ is
not being interpreted by loadkeys as an escape code. What you have to do is
get that escape code into that string. An easy way to do this is use echo
-e. Eg:

    echo -e '\033[6~'

Using a bit of shell magic, you should be able to replace that above ^[ with
the real escape character.

Hope that helps.

--
Thomas "Mondoshawan" Tate