KDE Distro

bob smith plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 12:44:23 -0700 (PDT)

--- "John (EBo) David" <ebo@leml.la.asu.edu> wrote:
> Kurt Granroth wrote:
> >
> > On Monday 15 April 2002 08:26 pm, Tom Achtenberg
> wrote:
> > > Any one have any suggestion as to which distro
> best supports KDE desktop?
> > >  I'm ready to give up on Red Hat as my whole
> system now makes a Windows
> > > 95 box look stable since I put KDE 3.0 on it and
> Red Hat refuses to make
> > > "official" RPM's available.
> >
> > Officially, we have to say that all distros are
> created equal (with the
> > exception of RH which always screws up KDE
> packages).. but privately, we
> > think that the best BY FAR is SuSE.  Second would
> be Mandrake.  I'd guess
> > that a good 80% of all KDE developers use one of
> the two.
>
> I hate to say that I concur...  SuSE is much more
> stable than RH, and
> has generally better packaging.  I do look forward
> to how Gentoo handles
> as they came up with a solution that sidesteps most
> of the issues.  Has
> anyone played with KDE 3.0+ under Gentoo and care to
> comment?

I will gladly comment on that. Gentoo is my favorite
distribution by far now. Thanks to Gontran and others
that have answered my questions. It is so easy to get
KDE3 working on Gentoo. Like Gontran mentioned in a
compiles and installs, a quick .xinitrc edit, you are
staring at your new KDE3 desktop. The worst part about
Gentoo is waiting for stuff to compile, but that
doesn't matter much because you're rewarded with
software optimized for your system architecture.

Tom if you are frustrated with RedHat in 6 days SuSE
8.0 is available and KDE3 is included. However, If you
don't mind waiting around for software to compile I
strongly suggest Gentoo.