Distill Word Doc to PDF

Austin Godber plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 22:08:20 -0700

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 09:38:44PM -0700, AZ Pete wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a few MS Word docs that I need to distill into PDF documents.
> I do not have the Adobe Acrobat Suite distiller software (WAY too
> expensive).
> Does anyone know of any freeware/shareware utilities that can take an
> MS Doc and distill it into PDF format.  Some of the documents are text
> only with minimal "fancy" formatting.  However, some of them have
> embedded pictures, charts, fancy fonts & formatting that must be
> preserved.
>
> Preferably I'd like the utility to run on a Linux platform, but I also
> have several Windows boxes at my disposal (98/2K/XP).
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Peter

Well, you may try installing a PS printer driver on your Win box, printing
to a PS file using that PS driver.  Then with the file (which should be ps
... hopefully, this is always a nuisance for me in windows) you can
convert from ps to pdf a variety of ways.  There is a UNIX command line
util called ps2pdf (maybe it works under cygwin).  There is also a web
front end for ps2pdf at www.ps2pdf.com

I have had some success with this method.  YMMV

--
Austin Godber
godber@asu.edu