PowerPC

Trent Shipley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 18:45:35 -0700

> I don't want to discourage you... but I wouldn't try and build a PPC unless
> you all ready have a PPC System or are ready to spend big bucks...
> especially when all your trying to do is run linux.

Well the point isn't to have the fastest or most flexible computer.  The
point is to get experience with some architecture besides Intel/AMD.

Besides Apple, browsing for G4 on Google had a lot of links into IBM.
Evidently most (all ?) AIX systems run on IBM-Motorola PPC chips.

The critical questions thus are:

1) Can it be done?
2) How much will a minimal system cost?

A peripheral issue ( <== pun) is whether or not the IO bus has limitations
like you find on 32-bit Intel systems.

I like databases and Intel systems have a tendency to poop out before you add
enough drives to be really interesting--not that I could afford that kind of
storage myself.

The question is oriented toward a hobbiest project.