Web Beacons

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 08 Apr 2002 11:34:36 -0700

Brian Cluff wrote:

> This is actually a fairly old trick, and is also done from time to time in
> spam mail, so that all you have to do is open the spam and they know you
> read it.... Hello, dumptruck loads of spam.

I know about the SPAM verification trick.  and it is not necessarily
just with single bit beacon images.  ANY image or file can thus be
traced.   That is why I filter out all email containing HTML and
attachments and deal with those seperately...

What pisses me off is that so many groups use Yahoo's damned service and
if I go to download a file from their archives or evel look at a list
that I do not normally subscribe to.  Next I know I am getting hit with
even more damned SPAM!  I'm starting to really loose my patience...

  EBo --