KDE Upgrade to 3.0

Tom Achtenberg plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 18:16:42 -0700

OK, I started with your first command, rpm -e kedbase-2.2.2-1 and got an
error saying it was needed by 8 other packages.  The first of these was
kdeaddons-kate-2.2.2-1 so I ran the rpm -e on it and got an error saying it
was not installed.  This continued with the next package,
kdeaddons-kicker-2.2.2-1.  I stopped at that point.  When the system is
telling me a package is needed by another package that it then tells me is
not installed, something is really screwed up.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Brown" <datm@qwest.net>
To: <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
Sent: Friday, April 05, 2002 9:13 AM
Subject: Re: KDE Upgrade to 3.0

I just completed this yesterday and am up and running KDE 3.0 on
RedHat 7.2 (Linux lisa 2.4.9-13custom #1 Mon Feb 4 17:31:45 MST
2002 i686 unknown).  Here's what I did:

First, I removed these files (rpm -e):

   kdebase-2.2.2-1
   kdeartwork-2.2.2-1
   kdepim-2.2.2-3
   kdepim-pilot-2.2.2-3
   kdelibs-2.2.2-2
   kdetoys-2.2.2-1
   kdeartwork-locolor-2.2.2-1
   kdemultimedia-2.2.2-2
   kdenetwork-2.2.2-1
   kdelibs-sound-2.2.2-2
   kdebindings-perl-2.2.2-1
   koffice-1.1.1-2
   kdegraphics-2.2.2-1
   kdeutils-2.2.2-1
   licq-kde-1.0.3-7

I had to go out to rpmfind.net to obtain:

   libxml2-2.4.19-2mdk.i586.rpm
   pilot-link-0.9.5-ximian.2.i386.rpm

Then I installed (rpm -Uhv) these:

   kdebase-3.0.0-2.i386.rpm
   kdeartwork-3.0.0-3.i386.rpm
   kdepim-3.0.0-1.i386.rpm
   kdepim-pilot-3.0.0-1.i386.rpm
   kdelibs-3.0.0-4.i386.rpm
   kdetoys-3.0.0-1.i386.rpm
   kdeartwork-3.0.0-3.i386.rpm
   kdeartwork-kworldclock-3.0.0-3.i386.rpm
   kdeartwork-locolor-3.0.0-3.i386.rpm
   kdeartwork-screensavers-3.0.0-3.i386.rpm
   kdemultimedia-arts-3.0.0-1.i386.rpm
   kdemultimedia-kfile-3.0.0-1.i386.rpm
   kdemultimedia-libs-3.0.0-1.i386.rpm
   kdenetwork-devel-3.0.0-1.i386.rpm
   kdenetwork-libs-3.0.0-1.i386.rpm
   cups-devel-1.1.14-10.i386.rpm
   cups-libs-1.1.14-10.i386.rpm
   qt-3.0.3-5.i386.rpm
   qt-devel-3.0.3-5.i386.rpm
   arts-1.0.0-1.i386.rpm
   libxml2-2.4.19-2mdk.i586.rpm
   pilot-link-0.9.5-ximian.2.i386.rpm

During the install, I received (about 5 times during various pkg
installs) a message about something like "Kbuildsycoca" (at least I
know "sycoca" was in the message and when I do a "locate coca" I
see there is a /usr/bin/kbuildsycoca).  I did the install while
still running KDE so that might have been the cause.  After the
install I logged out of KDE and logged back in and everything has
been working fine since then except for the Help (e.g., in KMail
selecting Help->KMail handbook pops the help window but instead of
help I get an error (while loading help:/kmail/index.html: could
not start process  Unable to create io-slave: klauncher said: Error

Hope this helps.  And, while it's not essential, if anyone has a
clue about the help error I'm getting, please pass it along.

Dan