KDE menus from Gnome

Lynn David Newton plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 19:00:45 -0700

  Brian> Personally I prefer to pronounce it the wrong
  Brian> way, with a silent g, cause guh-nome sound
  Brian> guh-stupid to me.

I guess it's a question of who a person want to feel
stupid around.

When Richard M. Stallman wrote the GNU Manifesto in
1985 (see <http://www.gnu.org/gnu/manifesto.html> for a
copy), he explained in the very first sentence the
meaning of the word "GNU", namely a recursive acronym
meaning "Gnu's Not Unix". The first section ends with
the statement: "To avoid horrible confusion, please
pronounce the 'G' in the word 'GNU' when it is the name
of this project."

Over time many software projects have come out of the
GNU project, many of them named with a starting letter
'G', such as Gnumeric, which clearly is not intended to
be pronounced the same as "numeric".

Gnome is part of the GNU project. Therefore, to
pronounce it as if it referred to a subterranean dwarf
rather than to associate it with the GNU project is to
manafest an unawareness of all things GNU, the Free
Software Foundation, and the roots of the open source
movement, which would seem to be an extremely unhip
thing to do in a Linux environment.

There's no law against appearing stupid. As I said,
it's just a question of whose standard you respect the
most.

--
Lynn David Newton
Phoenix, AZ