more follow-throughs

Lynn David Newton plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 21:44:54 -0700

As long as I'm following through on responses to
queries I put to the group: Thanks to everyone who
responded to my questions about mounting a samba
resource through /etc/fstab and my non-functioning CD
player. Nothing anyone said provided a solution to
either problem.

o There is no problem with permissions or any of the
  standard stuff you would look for in mounting the
  samba resource, nor any typos or such stupid stuff.
  It works fine when I mount it from a command line. It
  doesn't when I put it in fstab with what is as far as
  I know correct syntax.

  My workaround was simply to insert the mount command
  that works in /etc/rc.d/rc.local. That does the
  trick.

o My CD drive on /dev/hdd still will not mount and will
  not play audio disks. I tried all the suggestions
  sent in, including the ones I was skeptical about.
  I'll deal with it later. There's got to be a simple
  explanation. At least the burner on /dev/hdc works to
  boot, mount, and make copies to. I just can't listen
  to CDs through it. (I don't want to either. I want to
  use the drive I've been using all along.)

--
Lynn David Newton
Phoenix, AZ