OT: Microsoft Stands By IIS Despite Gartner Recommendation

Nigel Sollars plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 13:18:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 29 Sep 2001, George Toft wrote:

> I just read the actual numbers of servers shows NT has just under
> 50% of the market.  Netcraft's numbers are off because of virtual
> hosting.  For example, when I was in L.A., several of our servers
> had 200+ web sites per server, so by URL, Apache has the market
> share, but by server, it does not.
>
> This in itself is a benefit as it shows that Unix + Apache can
> host more virtuals than NT + IIS.
>
> George

After doing the MCSE +i NT4 ( which i have now lost ) ...

Im not suprised .. in the class i was in it took a good day to set IIS up
and running we even enabled HTTPS going through a shed load of menus (
Very annoying might i add ) But we did find that when doing vertual
servers the installs we had going were prone to hang and server response
times were greatly reduced .. Dont ask me why alls i did was pass the
exams
( I got it for free so it was of no loss to me financially )

For the setuptime issue

I can setup Apapche with PHP SSL running with SQL ( mysql ,
postrgres , Informaix ) support in a little over 30mins with self
generated RSA / DSA keys.

Regards

Nigel Sollars