Photo Radar (WAS RE: anonymous services)

David P. Schwartz plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:44:56 -0700

Jason wrote:

> "David P. Schwartz" wrote:
> > FWIW, I really don't understand what all the uproar
> > is over cell phones.  If they are going to outlaw
> > distractions inside the car, they should outlaw screaming
> > kids, girl/boy friends, more than two teenagers in
> > a car at once, radios, CD players, etc.
>
> You either havent been on the freeway much at all during the day, or
> you are one of the people contributing the the problem, and are simply
> in denial.
>
> You like to jabber on the phone while your behind the wheel? Think
> about how good it feels after an accident. Its not like this has been
> dreamed up..
>
> ITS ALREADY ILLEGAL TO OPERATE A VEHICLE WITH IMPAIRMENT. Its just
> been overlooked.
>
> If I cant wear a set of headphones (yes, even with only one earmuff
> on) with music, why the hell can I legally talk on a phone?
>
> I CANT! Its an IMPAIRMENT. I dont know why the hell this has been
> overlooked for so long.

I get your point.  However, I personally don't find it any more distracting having a phone conversation while driving than having a
conversation with a passenger.  Conversation (and not) is often especially distracting when I'm on a date.  Should we pass laws
requiring that couples on a date must hire a driver?

I've been known to stop talking to someone mid-sentence while driving, whether the person is a passenger or on the phone.  I don't have
a problem dropping my cell phone if need be, any more than I have a problem telling somebody to shut-up if traffic suddenly gets
snarled.

I frequently drive with my windows down (no A/C) and I've often had police cars and fire trucks go by with their sirens on, and I
couldn't hear them until they were almost right next to me because the truck on the other side was so loud!  Rolling up the windows
keeps out most of the noise, including emergency sirens.  Thus, I've never understood the deal about wearing headphones in a car.

Either you're "present" to your driving experience, or you're not.  Some people are more present than others.

I don't believe there is an "optimal" set of circumstances that anybody could say with certainty is nearly always "safe", except maybe
driving on a straight flat road in the middle of nowhere with no other traffic all.  EVERYTHING ELSE is a distraction.  The roads, the
street signs, other vehicles, other vehicle noises, noises from your own vehicle, transient visual an auditory images, etc.  Everything!

Driving safely, like everything else in life, depends on one thing -- just BEING PRESENT.

-David