PLUG-discuss digest, Vol 1 #1482 -

Mike & Barb Kollier plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 19:40:59 -0700

Please help!  I have an urgent situation. I'm running RedHat 7.1 on i686.  I just attempted to create quotas for my root filesystem.  I
followed directions by setting the option field in the /etc/fstab file to defaults,usrquota,grpquota for the root filesystem line.  I
may have made a typo.  On rebooting I got the following error:
Remounting root filesystem in read/write mode: / not mounted already, or bad option.

The boot then quickly fails as the root system is left in read only mode.  I have a boot diskette and can get to the boot prompt but
don't know what to do to resolve the issue.  My syslinux.cfg on the boot diskette is as follows:
default linux
prompt 1
display boot.msg
timeout 100
label linux
    kernel vmlinuz
    append initrd=initrd.img root=/dev/hda5

I'd guess that I need to override the /etc/fstab or somehow modify it.  If I could only bring the system up in read only I could copy
some of my unsaved work and re-install.  Any help greatly appreciated if only to point to another forum.

Thanks,

Mike Kollier