Linux

Thomas Mondoshawan Tate plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 15:18:32 -0700

--E39vaYmALEf/7YXx

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 12:14:45PM -0700, Richard L. Proctor wrote:
> Just out of Curiosity which distrobution of Linux do you prefer and what
> makes it better in your opinion?

My own brew. Although technicially it's Linux From Scratch, but I've made so
many changes to it I'd hardly call it such. The reason: less bloat, less
dependencies, it runs what I want and not what the creators want, and
upgrading portions of the system isn't as time consuming as it would be
under a package based system. Eg: if I need to update libc, all I have to do
is download, ./configure, make, make install, and I'm done -- no broken
dependencies anywhere. Albeit, this kind of distro is not for those with
heart conditions or those who are new to Linux since it's source-level
"package management" feature requires a pretty heavy understanding of how
the packages fit together.

--=20
Thomas "Mondoshawan" Tate
phoenix@psy.ed.asu.edu