Linux

Brian Cluff plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 14:05:17 -0700

> Matt,
> All sarcasm aside, if you've ever had the experience of not being
> credited for work that you did(especially when you did that work as free
> software so you COULD be credited for the work you did), then you would
> understand why the GNU/ prefix is so relevant to GNU/Linux.
>
> (Disclaimer: I support GNU, but I usually just say Linux :) )

There is no doubt that the GNU project has done huge amounts for linux.  I
just have a problem calling it GNU/Linux when there is so much more in there
that's not in the GNU project, like XFree86 and apache that calling it
GNU/Linux completely ignores, or even worse, implies that GNU somehow
deserves credit for it.   Also GNU/FSF doesn't write all the GNU software,
for the most part its just a distro type of thing.  I would be like people
insisting on calling mandrake   Redhat/Mandrake because it was origionally
based off of Redhat's distro.

Every time I hear RMS immediatly correct someone that says linux with
GNU/Linux, it makes me want to build a Linux distro around the BSD programs,
just so I can immediatly come back with,  Thats nice of you to assume that
but there are very few programs on this system that are GNU.

But all that aside, what he speaks of does have merit for the most part and
it should be something that we all try to reach, but that asside, he still
hasn't taken a shower in at least 6 days :)  (He ended up at my house for
the trip.)

Brian Cluff