IP masquerading, Qwest

Nigel Sollars plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 02:09:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Vaughn Treude wrote:

> Nigel Sollars wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, Vaughn Treude wrote:
> >
> > > Yep.  I already had the same DNS addresses entered on both machines, since the ME notebook was working with the dialup connection.
> > > BTW, I've been revisiting the "test" section of the "IP Masquerade" HOWTO.  I was able to find the REAL IP address by telnetting to the Cisco, and I could
> > > ping that from the Windows box.  But I could NOT telnet to the sample fixed IP addresses they gave (like the one for www.linux.org.)  Perhaps these have
> > > changed, or they are more security conscious now and rejected me without the prompt.  In any case, my forwarding seems to be failing independent of the
> > > DNS lookup function.
> > > Also, it's been suggested that I need to run DHCPD on the firewall box, but the IP-Masq howto doesn't mention this at all.   It was my understanding that
> > > Qwest was doing this for me.  I currently haven't tried running DHCPD; haven't figured out the setup yet.
> >
> > Qwest is doing Dhcp on this connection from the Cisco 678 ... why would
> > you want DHCPD running on the firewall .. Is this just as a client?
>
> > or do u mean to create a new dhcp server on the firewall for the clients
> > behind it?
>
> Yes, the firewall's just a client.  I'll only create a new dhcp server on the firewall if it's necessary for the clients behind it to connect to external
> addresses.  The "howto" doesn't mention it, so I hope I don't have to do that.  But I've followed the instructions in the "howto" to the letter, and it doesn't
> work yet after several hours of futzing around, so I'm baffled.
>

> > on this connection ive not looked as of yet at the public IP address ..
> >
> > I do know after looking at the settings on the 678 through the serial
> > console that the dhcp scope is in the 10.0.0.x range as set by qwest with
> > 10.0.0.1 as the 678 .2 as this workstation.
> >

> Yes, I know that, and the other machines on the LAN can ping that guy, but nothing else seems to work for some reason.
>
> Later,
> vaughn

OK im glad all this is being done by someone cause im about to get my
stuff here from the uk in the next couple of months and i was thinking of
setting up a firewall myself OpenBSD 2.9 was my choice.

I was going to talk to qwest about the dhcp asigning and change it to a
standard 192 range ...

Im not sure how they are going to react mind lol .... I guess for a true
line with say 2 or more ip addresses cost's more $$$'s .. i was looking at
this option to make it easier on myself.

Regards

Nigel