IP masquerading, Qwest

Patrick Fleming plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 07:32:45 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Vaughn Treude wrote:

> Thanks for your reply, Dan.  Your setup is similar to mine; though it seems I need to run dhclient on my firewall machine in order to acess the
> internet.  Either that, or there's some other configuration step I accidentally did when I added that in.  My "eth1" NIC behaves a bit
> strangely; it always shows a FAIL when the system comes up, and dhclient first reports the network as "down" and then succeeds.  I don't know
> what's happening, but at least it works!
>
>  Both you and Gontran mentioned setting up the Gateway address on the client machine, which is what I'd missed, because I skipped the step where
> they had you setting up the NIC, since it was already set up!  Now I can successfully ping the Cisco from another machine on the LAN.  Now I
> need to figure out why my stupid Windows machine doesn't let me replace the dialup connection with a LAN connection.  It has buttons for LAN
> configuration, but be damned if I can figure out how to actually enable it (or if they mean the same thing by "proxy server" as Linux people
> mean by that term.)  I know it's terribly OT, but is there a trick to making this crazy Redmond stuff look over the LAN without deleting the
> dialup account?  (One of these is a notebook.)
>
> Thanks again,
> Vaughn

Here's the setup that I used. In tcp/ip properties of your nic, I set
enable DNS, and set the name servers to one inside name server, and one
outside name server. I have problems when the internal DNS is down so I
don't think that the external forwards correctly... another project. I
also set the nic ip number. From the command line
c:\windows\route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 {firewall nic ip}

If I remember correctly this machine was still able to dial out indepenent
of the firewall.

Patrick