RMS speech?

Victor Odhner plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 06:35:58 -0700

Dr. Stallman takes a totally principled position that it is
immoral to refuse help to others.  Thus, he says, it is a
betrayal of your fellow programmers and everybody else
to sign a non-disclosure agreement.  He says it
impoverishes us all to do less than completely sharing
what we know.

He lives simply so that he doesn't need to sell out his
principles.  Is that Wacko?  Well, when asked if he had
considered entering politics he says he's too realistic
about being outside the mainstream in today's society.
"I couldn't even get elected dog catcher, which is good
because I'm afraid of dogs."

He makes a big point of the fact that what the world calls
"Linux" is really the GNU system using the Linux kernel.
Linus just contributed the last piece.  GNU's own kernel,
based on MACH, is coming along pretty well now but he
declines to predict when it will be as solid as Linux.

The reason this is important is that GNU is intended to
eliminate proprietary software, while Linux has become
an "open source" environment in which proprietary
software is welcome to coexist -- which, as He continues
to say firmly, is a Bad Thing.

He said a lot of other stuff, but that seems to be the
main thrust of his message.

Yes, he's willing to be called a Wacko, and admints he
is outside the mainstream.  He's very matter of fact
about all this, and says others are free to disagree.
But he argues a very consistent case based on the
principles he stands for.  There was also an interesting
discussion about sharing of music, for example.

Vic