Need something to convince your boss to switch to Apache?

David P. Schwartz plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 23:22:05 -0700

Somebody posted a video of a recent IBM ad for their Linux-based Netfinity
server.  I thought it was GREAT!

I'm waiting for IBM to put out another one sorta like this:

Two cowboys are sitting around in a really fancy NOC looking bored as
hell.  An old recording of Patsy Cline is playing quietly on an MP3 player
in the back of the room.  They're watching big-screen projections of some
graphs -- the graph on the left has a green line near the bottom and a
title that says, "Our traffic -- infected packets".  The other graph has a
bunch of tall red bars and a title that says, "Outside Network Traffic --
infected packets".

A cell phone rings.  One of them answers slowly in a thick Texas accent:
"Hey, babe!" ...  "Nuth'n, things are really dead.  We're just watching
traffic from the latest virus infection flying around the web." ...  "Who?
Us?  Naw.  All our clients are running Linux-based servers.  We haven't
seen a virus in here in, uhh..." [looks at sign that says "Last Incident:
11 weeks, 5 days ,20 hrs, 14 mins"]  "looks like about three months.  I
think that was when they pulled out the last NT server we had here that
finally bit the dust."

Suddenly a big jump in the red graph, and the other guy shouts, "Ooooohh,
there goes that big server farm in Dallas!"  The first guy says, "Don't
they have some 5000 NT servers on-line over there?"  "Not any more!  Boy,
their customers are going to be shut down for a while."  "yeah, by the
looks of this virus it's gonna be a LONG while..."

Fade: "Linux ... anything else is just waiting to be infected."

-David Schwartz