OT - Cisco router question

Bob G plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 22 Sep 2001 22:29:18 -0700

"Matt Alexander" <m@netpro.to> wrote:

> It's a 2514 (two 10Base-T AUI ports and two serial ports).  Right now I'm
just
> using it as an additional hop for one of my hosts before connecting to the
> Internet through my cable Internet connection.

I've got one of the same unit. Depending on the Cisco IOS feature set it
has, it could be used as a screening router or firewall. What IOS version
and memory does it have (flash & RAM)?

> It's mostly a learning aid for
> working my way through the various Cisco certifications.

Together with some of the books available, that should be fine for CCNA
level. At CCNP level, you may find one router a bit of a limitation. If
you've got one (or more) Linux boxes, you can set it up to add significant
value to your Cisco lab. A few things I've used Linux for in my Cisco
studies:

1. RIP, OSPF and BGP routing using Zebra (www.zebra.org). Zebra has a very
Cisco-like interface that you might find interesting.

2. Tacacs+ server (AAA)

3. Syslog server (debug, log)

4. TFTP server for holding router configs

If nothing else, a cheap Linux box off each router Ethernet port gives you a
better way of testing to make sure your router config is doing what you
think it is. Using just the router's IOS interface, it's often easy to miss
significant details, especially using access lists.

> I'm hoping to find a
> way to utilize the serial connections in some way (I don't plan on getting
an
> ISDN connection or a T1, etc., however).

There are a number of (pricey) cables for the DB-60 serial ports on that
router, but they're synchronous only unfortunately. If you wind up with a
second 25xx, there are back-to-back cables for $30 that you can use to
simulate WAN links, etc. Unless you're sinking more into your lab, they
probably won't do much for you. You can use the AUX port for hooking up a
modem, but you're limited to 38,400 bps.

If you'd care to do a bit of configuration, we could link your router to my
little pod (4 routers) via a tunnel. That way, you could work with a more
complex configuration as you progress through the courses. I used this with
some buddies as we were studying earlier this year. Let me know if this is
something you'd be interested in. It won't provide a whole CCIE study lab,
but it's great for getting a handle on basics and protocols.

Good luck!

- Bob