just a random question

Bob Cober plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 22 Sep 2001 15:31:57 -0700

I agree.....Fry's had 256mb of pc133 for $25 and an AMD 1.2Ghz
motherboard/cpu combo for $189..!!!

Time to get a Gig of ram for a $100!

----- Original Message -----
From: David P. Schwartz <davids@desertigloo.com>
To: <plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us>
Sent: Saturday, September 22, 2001 2:38 PM
Subject: Re: just a random question

> Sounds pretty typical.
>
> A new mboard with AMD chipset and a 256MB DIMM will probably set you back
less than what 64 Megs of 72-pin SIMMs will cost you for that puppy.
> And it will run a whole lot faster, too. :-)
>
> robert jorgenson wrote:
>
> > i have a P1 133 MHZ processor, and i dont know exactly what MB off hand
but it is an ibm chipset. the problem is i only got 4 SIMM slots, so
> > the most i would be able to go with 8 MB sticks is 32 megs, and i
actually have 8 sticks of the 8MB ram myself :P As for the type of RAM,
> > just 72pin EDO SIMMs. And on ebay right now there are 4 listings for ECC
SIMM ram.

> > "David P. Schwartz" wrote:
> >
> > > I'll see if I can provide a not-so-random answer...
> > >
> > > 64megs of 8MB 60ns 72-pin non-ECC SIMMs would be very cheap and easy
to find.  (I've got a bunch I'd be happy to dispose of!)  Now, I've
> > > heard that 32MB and larger 72-pin SIMMs are rather hard to come by.
Keep in mind that you usually need to add these SIMMs in pairs.

> > > What kind of computer do you have (CPU and motherboard are good to
know, too) and exactly what kind of RAM do you need for it?

> > > FWIW, I'm looking for some 32MB or 64MB 72-pin _ECC_ SIMMs.  Those
suckers seem to be rare as hen's teeth!