wheel-mouse and xemacs

David A. Sinck plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 06:26:20 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth John (EBo) David on 9/19/2001 05:54 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_
\_ On my 6 foot pile of things called a "to-do" List I've wanted to get my
\_ wheel mouse working in emacs...
\_
\_ I've read the blurb on http://koala.ilog.fr/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/,
\_ modified my ~/.emacs, but have been unable to get it to work...  Have
\_ anyone else gotten a wheel mouse to work with xemacs?  Suggestions?
\_
\_   I'm runing SuSE 7.1 and have been unable to find a newer RPM to
\_ upgrade...

Bah.  I had emacs scrolling on wheel mouse three companies ago, so
that'd be like whole years and stuff.  :-)

Diagnosis: from the commandline fire up 'xev', then move the mouse
over it and ignore the flood of events.  *Pick the mouse up* (so as to
not get spurious reports from the ball) and use just the wheel.  If
you don't get events, then it's your X-server not paying attention to
mouse-4 and mouse-5.  See XF86Config, particulary the mouse section
where it states 'ZAxisMapping 4 5' and 'Buttons 5'.

If you are getting X events, then either XEmacs hasn't read your
config properly or it just doesn't like you.  :-)

David