A challenge (was Re: Of course, they'll deny it.)

Nathan England plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
19 Sep 2001 08:48:20 -0700

--=-nxgUc2i+qRDHGzDxdmvg

On Wed, 2001-09-19 at 08:31, John (EBo) David wrote:
> Nathan England wrote:
> >=20
> > >
> > > *** DO NOT TRY THIS UNLESS YOU WANT TO REBOOT ***
> > > Here's my script:
> > > #!/bin/bash
> > >
> > > while [ 1 ]; do
> > >         # Make a copy
> > >         cp corewar corewar.$$
> > >
> > >         # Run it
> > >         ./corewar.$$ &
> > >
> > > # Start over
> > > done
> > >
> > > *** DO NOT TRY THIS UNLESS YOU WANT TO REBOOT ***
> > >
> > > Here's the challenge: how do you clean up these processes without
> > > using init 0, init 1, init 6, reboot, or shutdown?
> > >
> > > Now I'm guilty of #3, above.
> > >
> > > George
> > >
> >=20
> > Use one of the bootable business cards. Boot that, mount your drive,
> > remove the script, reboot..
> >=20
> > yeah?  or did I miss the point?
>=20
> This is what I understood the question to be:=20
>=20
>   How does one kill *all* them processes without rebooting the machine.
>=20
>   Well, if I *know* the name of the program causing the evil behaviour
> then I can write a awk/perl/sh script that parses the info from a 'ps'
> and then kills them all in turn.  This could also be done
> recersively...  The problem though is that the creation loop is likely
> faster then the seek-and-destroy-process loop.  So that would not likely
> work either unless you nice your kill process to something like a -19.
>=20
>   Do I understand the problem correctly?
>=20
>   EBo --

Ahh, you're right.  I don't know why I was thinking it was part of an
init script on boot or something..

I would think, if you have more than one machine, and APM on it,=20
apm -s

then work on another machine, write the scripts to kill everything, then
just copy your script to the machine after you wake it up..?

Or if it's not being run by root, but by someone else, you could killall
the process' from that group?  Not sure if or how you can do this..
killall -g group-name  ??

nathan