handling services without linuxconf

Eric plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 07:16:03 -0800

> Well, first a VERY quick explanation of how those services get started.

Thx Rusty.  Secretly deep down I have always wanted to know how to
manipulate my services this way, rather than using wimpy interfaces such as
Linuxconf.  Your email is pretty helpful.  Maybe you or someone could
explain briefly the practical difference between inetd and xinetd for some
of us who may not know.  I have RH 7.1 which uses xinetd and its been
somewhat of a mystery to me.