printer server problem

Rick Rosinski plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 17:27:34 -0700

> Are you using the BSD Line printing daemon that comes with slackware, or
> are you using cups? (Common Unix Printing System  -- www.cups.org)

I have been using the Linux Printing Daemon forever, and it worked nicely,
even under Slackware 8.0.  I have downloaded, compiled, and installed cups,
but I haven't configured it.  Maybe this is the problem - maybe cups disables
lpd during installation.  I was planning on testing cups after recompiling
kde.

> Curious because I have had loads of problems with Star Office and Open
> Office not seeing my printer setup, unless I have cups installed.  I
> never install the BSD-lpd because cups is sooo nice.

The lpd is all I have ever used, with old dj-print filters (using
/etc/printcap) I found years ago.  StarOffice worked wonderfully with these.

> Have you tried any *other* text editor, obviously you can print from the
> line, so I'm assuming it's just star office that you have this problem
> in.

I *cannot* print from line.  "lpq:  Unable to contact server!", and lpc
doesn't show that any printers are installed at all, like it used to  "status
psjet", etc.  This, I had mentioned before.

> Check your /etc/rc.d/rc.M and make sure this is in it...
>
>   if [ -x /usr/sbin/lpd ]; then
>     echo "Starting the BSD line printer spooler daemon:  /usr/sbin/lpd"
>     /usr/sbin/lpd

All there, and there was an lpd process found using "ps -A" in an xterm
(which I mentioned before)

> And check /var/log/packages/ and make sure that lpd is installed.  I've
> seen it get installed from some other package, not bsd-lpd and it
> doesn't work correctly.

I will not even check here, because it was working fine for the longest time
(maybe the cups disabled lpd somehow).

> But I'm pretty sure it's Star Office.  Just put cups on it. (and qtcups
> , Kups)
> are nice as well!

I will have to play with cups and see what's up.  I am "green" on cups.

--
Rick Rosinski
http://rickrosinski.com