New FTP question

Thomas Mondoshawan Tate plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 09:07:34 -0700

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 08:46:14AM -0700, Carl Parrish wrote:
> Is transfering text files as binary only a problem if your going from a=
=20
> NT box to a *Nix box or visa virsa? I've never heard that before but the=
=20
> man page I'm reading now seem to suggest it.
>=20
> Carl P.

*nix machines terminate lines with a <LF> character.
NT and other M$-like OS's terminate lines with a <CR><LF> pair.
To make things even crazier, Macs terminate lines with a single <CR>.

As such, if you transfer a text file as a binary file, it's copied verbatim
and no translation is done. Generally, if you're moving from <CR><LF>, most
*nix machines don't mind so much (Apache and other programs just read
through it, spouting it out to the browser as a binary file -- again, no
translation). However, if you're moving from <LF> to <CR><LF>, NT and most
M$ os's barf pretty heavily.

Generally, it's a good idea to transfer text files as ASCII, and other files
as binary, unless you're using an FTP program that has an autodetect
function (I believe ncFTP does, but you'll have to doublecheck the man
pages), in which case there's nothing to worry about. =3Dop

Hope that helps. =3Do)

--=20
Thomas "Mondoshawan" Tate
phoenix@psy.ed.asu.edu