Remote X

Nathan England plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
17 Sep 2001 02:08:48 -0700

--=-jMYtSzBpaQfwa/ystIy2

> I forget how to do that. Can't you just ssh to desktop, then run somethin=
> like "startx -- :1"? Might actually need to start X on the desktop, then
> attach to it from the laptop.
That's the part I don't know how to do!!!  How do I attach to it?
So far, the most I can do is ssh into the desktop then run an individual
program.. I didn't have xhost set, which is why I couldn't do anything
before, so atleast now I can run individual apps.

>=20
> BTW, from laptop X try sshing to desktop, then running Xnest. It works
> pretty well across a local network. Sucks across the 'Net. Xnest over ssh
> would also make all the commo secure.

Well, this is all at home and it's only my laptop/server/desktop on the
network, so I don't care about security with this.  But it's a good idea
for work..  Though, once I run Xnest, I just get an empty X window..  I
guess I'm missing something.

nathan

--=-jMYtSzBpaQfwa/ystIy2

--=-jMYtSzBpaQfwa/ystIy2--