Remote X

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 03:02:38 -0700 (MST)

Am 17. Sep, 2001 schwätzte John (EBo) David so:

> hmmm... you also need to set the DISPLAY variable to something like
> setenv DISPLAY laptop_name:0.0
>
> and make sure that the laptop has set the "xhost +desktop_name" so that
> the laptop will receive the stuff from the desktop...

NOOO!!!!

ssh takes care of the display stuff. What you describe actually sets your
communication outside the secure tunnel opened by ssh as well as opens your
display to outside programs.

bash-2.05$ hostname
falco
bash-2.05$ ssh -X archives
Last login: Mon Sep 17 02:48:43 2001 from falco.lufthans.com on pts/2
Linux archives 2.2.17 #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST 2000 i586 unknown
lufthans@archives:~$ echo $DISPLAY
archives:11.0
lufthans@archives:~$

That archives:11.0 actually points back to falco:0, which is where my
original shell started.

BTW, for those that need to open an X display to local X traffic, but
not external stuff use "xhost +local:". Also, if tcp is turned off in
/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc, then connections from the network aren't allowed.

Apps opened via ssh tunnels are actually local traffic, not network traffic
because they make a connection to the X server via local methods ( unix
socket or tcp? I presume unix socket ), rather than connecting to the X
server via the network.

ciao,

der.hans

--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
#  Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important