Remote X

Nathan England plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
17 Sep 2001 01:02:22 -0700

--=-oFOSIUZ6iGjejptm07n4

My monitor on my worstation just died, and since I'll be moving in about
8 months, I don't want to buy another...I'll just be selling it again.

I got a second X window on my laptop working so I can log in twice if I
wished now using gdm, but what I can't figure out is how do I get my X
display from my workstation on 0.1 of my laptop??

ctrl-alt-F7 is my laptop
ctrl-alt-F8 is my desktop

any ideas?  I'm running X 4.1.0
I have read too many conflicting guides on the net and can't get it to
work!!  And maybe I'm doing ssh wrong, but if I do ssh -X remote-machine
and then open an X program, it won't work, just says it can't find the
display, but I don't care about ssh..  There are no security hazards
here. =20

Anyone know how to do this?
I imagine it has to be something simple like
/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers
machine-name:0.1 foreign /usr/X11R6/bin/X

but that doesn't work..
What is the setup on the laptop and the workstation??

Or can I do it using xdmcp???  or is this it..? Thanks

nathan
--=20

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought,
but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
			-- Albert Einstein

--=-oFOSIUZ6iGjejptm07n4

--=-oFOSIUZ6iGjejptm07n4--