Congress debating law to allow warrantless email 'wiretapping': A call to action

John Huerta plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 14:46:07 -0700 (MST)

I'm sure most of you check /., and will have seen this article.  If not,
please go read it.

There is also a blanket response from Robin Miller, outlining what
slashdotters must do to stop legislation like this.

	http://slashdot.org/yro/01/09/16/1647231.shtml

Of course, the most important thing is to write (not flame) your
legislators and and tell them why laws like these are a bad idea.

Senator Contact Info:

	http://www.senate.gov/contacting/index_by_state.cfm

Representative Contact Info:

	http://www.house.gov/writerep

I'm willing to help organize phone, letter and email campaigns here in
Flagstaff (puts on activist hat).  Is anyone willing to do the same in
Phoenix?

It seems some publicity is in order.  I'm willing to write letters to the
editor for both Flagstaff Tea Party and the Az Daily Sun.  I would submit
a copy to the Arizona Republic as well, though it seems someone who could
tie the matter with the interests of Phoenix residents and businesses
would be more likely to have their letter published.

Public protests and flyers could also be useful.

It's time to act now.  Do you want the FBI to read your email legally?  Do
you want to NSA to have a legally mandated database of all private
encryption keys?  I do not, and for the first time in my life, I'm going
to fight.

Please forward this message to friends not on the lists.  Please call
friends and coworkers.  Ask if they want their email communications to be
private.  Get the word out.  It will only take a vocal minority, but a
very large number of people must know before that will acrue.

Thanks,

John Huerta
jgh5@dana.ucc.nau.edu
Home phone: (928) 226-7664