The Newbie Again

Patrick Fleming plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 12:39:10 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 16 Sep 2001, John (EBo) David wrote:

> Patrick Fleming wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 16 Sep 2001, George Toft wrote:
> >
> > > Qwest Choice OnLine (at least in Anthem) is VDSL.  It's plug and play.
> > > Put a 10mbps NIC in the Linux box, set it up for DHCP, and off
> > > you go.
> > >
> > > Link to my router --> http://georgetoft.com/linux/firewall/index.html
> > >
> > > The fun part is when the customer service weenie tells you to reboot
> > > your Windows computer to fix the problems with the gateway box.
> > > ifdown and ifup work quite well for that.  I still haven't figured
> > > out how to fake the music.
> >
> > Just copy some .wav files from a Win box.... then play them in rapid
> > succession making it sound like you just rebooted half a dozen times. I
> > bet that would blow their minds.. =)
> > Patrick
>
> telling them to face the music? ;-)
>
>   EBo --

Sure, play the 'tada!' until they start asking 'what's going on?'
Here's a script even

#!/bin/bash
play tada.wav
ifdown eth0
ifup eth0
play start.wav && play tada.wav && play start.wav
exit 0

My remaining Win box plays the Seinfeld them on boot and the "Soup Nazi"
saying 'adios muchacho' on shutdown...