anonymous services

Jim plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 10:28:04 -0700

The so-called "free market forces" evolved into multinational corporations
who operate outside any law without fear of restriction by any government.  I
need not cite a prime example of such a corporation.  According to your
concept, it is "right" for a certain company to continue to violate any
general concept of morality it deems necessary in the interest of profit and
because it has had the financial resources to convince governments that it is
morally right to guarantee those profits at the expense of personal freedoms.

Corporations have shown no inclination that general morality affects the
least of their decisions.  You disbelieve?  Look at the virtual slavery of
"employees" in the far east condoned by even U.S. corporations.  Look at the
lobbying efforts by many companies right here in our country to restrict
freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution.

The inherent reaction you speak to is not made by individuals who promote
themselves as morally superior, but by individuals who respect the freedoms
guaranteed in our Constitution.  Laws bought and paid for by corporations
that infringe on those freedoms deserve to be recoiled from, contested, and
overturned.  This is the "land of the free" not the "land of the wealthy
corporations".

Morality is not and should not be either a corporate or a governmental
decision.  Morality is a personal decision.  Here in the U.S. we expect to be
able to make our own moral decisions, not have them forcefed from the wealthy
corporations.  We choose to live here (or at least choose not to move out)
and enjoy the freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution.  Anyone who chooses
corporate morality over freedom will end up with neither.