[Congress considers encryption restrictions in response to attacks]

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 15:22:07

I can see it now...
<sarcasm>
Terrorists sitting in front of a computer is some foriegn country.  They
say "Oh, no!  The US Congress has outlawed strong encryption!  How will we
communicate securely with our operatives?"

Ring. Ring.

"Hello?"  "You are not supposed to call on the phone from the US, you
idiot!"  "Oh, yeah, I guess you can't use encryption anymore now.  What
will we do?"

Thus, terrorism is defeated.
</sarcasm>

Outlaw encryption: Feels good, like you did something.
Effectiveness: ZERO.

Alan