scsi & lilo

Armand plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 22:01:06 -0700

Hi Nathan,

You're probably missing the initrd or sometimes called ramdisk.

You either need to (1) mkinitrd and have ramdisk support, usually
already built in as a module:

This how-to on initrd forgot to include the ramdisk module
but it might give you the general idea:
http://linux.nf/scsboot.html

or (2) just build scsi support into the kernel with the low level
scsi device driver for your particular controler, in my case aic7xxx

If you mkinitrd... edit lilo.conf to reflect it like:

  image  = /boot/vmlinuz_2.4.4
  label  = linux
  root   = /dev/sda1
  initrd = /boot/initrd_2.4.4

and then run lilo.

Also some BIOS's won't boot from /dev/sdb so make sure you are trying
to boot /dev/sda

You might need to do some reading as well.

HTH,
Armand