dual pentia/SCSI & Linux

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 21:23:16 -0700

Eric wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I thinking of buying a dual pentium 3 500 w/SCSI drive.  When things settle
> down a bit (I just barely managed to pull myself away from CNN to type this
> message) could someone tell about their experience with Linux on a dual
> pentium w/SCSI?  Will my experience with this type of system be any
> different that a single pentium 3 and an IDE drive?  Any precautions I
> should take or questions I should ask?  Is this purely a Windows machine, or
> will Linux be no prob?

that is basically the clone of the machine I use all the time
(Linux/NT/W2000).  There is some wierd things with getting the CD-RW
working, but I think the rewer kernals take care of most of the gotcha's

Typically, SCSI will run faster and easier than IDE.  IDE's you
typically only get two devices/channel, while on scsi you get 7 on the
old and 15 on the newer SCSI busses.  You want to make sure that the
bios will support your SCSI's though (there was an oddity with mine, but
it was immediately solved with a patch to the bios).

  EBo --