dual pentia/SCSI & Linux

Jonathan Claxton plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 21:35:08 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Eric wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I thinking of buying a dual pentium 3 500 w/SCSI drive.  When things settle
> down a bit (I just barely managed to pull myself away from CNN to type this
> message) could someone tell about their experience with Linux on a dual
> pentium w/SCSI?  Will my experience with this type of system be any
> different that a single pentium 3 and an IDE drive?  Any precautions I
> should take or questions I should ask?  Is this purely a Windows machine, or
> will Linux be no prob?

I have a dual 1Ghz PIII Linux system with SCSI disk drives and IDE DVD
drive.  Just make sure that you really know SCSI like terminations and
cables quality and get good HDs then it will be no problems in running a
system. Also, be prepared to flash the bios to make sure that it can
handle SMP under Linux. I had to do that just to get Linux running SMP.
Other than the above, there should be no problems running SMP Linux. One
other thing, know how to build a SMP kernel.

As for me, I got a ASUS CUV4X-DLS mb with two 1Ghz cpus, 512Megs of
memory, two IBM SCSI Drives, a 16X DVD ROM IDE drive, a 6x4x16x Yamaha
SCSI drive on a seperate SCSI card and a TNT video card in a black cube
case and it is affectionaly(sp) know as "Black Thunder". :) This is also
the box that I have a TV card so that I can watch TV on it.