Netscxape

Jason plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 05:48:03 +0000

Ive eliminated 99% of the crashes in netscape 4.7.x simply by
disabling support for java applets in my primary username. I have
other users that I also run NS under, with it enabled, and yes, they
crash far more often.

An appalling number of java applets are out there, for disturbingly
stupid things. Someones home page just HAS to have an applet that
makes, say, a clock. Etc. Any time more than one java applet is
running or has been run recently (they fail to properly quit quite
often, I have also noticed), your in for potential trouble.

Another common crash (for me) is modifying a mail folder (deleting an
item, say) *WHILE* the system is downloading mail. This triggers
*something*, maybe once in a blue moon, and it just dies out from
under me, but at least it closes its windows and leaves a proper core
(comes in handy if I was typing a long reply!) file. Doesnt happen all
the time by any stretch either.

Another tip: log OFF before opening ANY email you might think to be
spam. Apparently spammers are "verifying" email addresses now by using
CGI scripts and IMG SRC= tags in their emails! Once verified, you will
be moved to the high volume spam lists and/or resold...

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|