a little security

Bill Warner plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
10 Sep 2001 11:09:30 -0700

I setup a vpn useing ssh.  check the howtos it basicly
uses ssh and pppd to create a vpn.  I felt very 31337
after setting it up. :) got an ssh encrypted tunnel
through my work firewall straight to my house.

Bill Warner

On 07 Sep 2001 09:49:36 -0700, Nathan England wrote:
> Okay, I know half of you will probably shoot me for this, but I'm doing
> it anyway...
>
> I need access to a volume on a server across the internet.
> Right now I am running samba and I am connecting by running three
> ssh tunnells to ports 137, 138, and 139 from my computer at work to the
> server. From there I mount the volumes.
>
> There has to be a more secure way than this. Especially more secure than
> samba..  I have a good password, but still any sniffer would get it in a
> few seconds.  Except for the ssh tunnels, there really isn't any
> security.
>
> Are there any safer ways any one knows of that I could do this?
> I'm not so worried about my security where someone sniffs me and gets my
> password, but others seeing the wide open ports and going after it..
> It's pretty stupid.
>
> I was thinking about setting ipchains to only accept the connection from
> a specific ip, but is there a better way than this?  Any input helpfull.
> Thanks guys.
>
> nathan
>

> --
>  "Ah, lives there a man with soul so dead, who never to himself hath
> said,
> as he hunched and rolled in his comfortable bed:
> To hell with rent...I'll drink instead!"

Bill Warner
Unix/Linux Admin.
Direct Alliance Corporation

Company required stuff:

Contents are Direct Alliance Corporation Confidential

This message is for the designated recipient(s) only and contains
Direct Alliance Corporation privileged and confidential information.
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete the original.  Any other use of this email is prohibited.