[NPO]FYI Arizona budget cut for education...

Patrick Fleming plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 11:53:44 -0700 (MST)

And at the same time they are implementing a deal that calls for the state
to pay out $172 for the whole M$ in the schools agenda. Spending money to
'upgrade' the computer lab at my kids' school- I wonder what they will do
with that full lab of iMacs? Somebody, everybody needs to speak up loudly.
Simply installing Linux in its many variants could be enough to save this
amount of money... and why not? Linux has been ported to nearly every
platform, StarOffice will run across the network. Web browsers are
available in many different flavors... why do we as taxpayers have to pay
for the idiotic decisions made by this administration? We shouldn't have
to. I say this is as bad, or worse than, the alternative fuel fiasco-
which I am sure, looked similarly appealing before it was placed into
service.

Now I have to get on the political soap box: She knew what the alternative
fuel bill was when she signed it, either that or her and her entire staff
a)didn't read it- which means political idiocy or b) didn't understand it-
see a).  I think that it's time to get rid of Jane Hull- she is in M$s
pocket on one hand telling us that $172 million is going to be spent on
the largest of its kind ASP agreement (for our schools k-12) and then
telling the State Universities that they have to cut $100 million from
their budgets due to a projected income decrease.

I'm sure that some lists may be slightly off-topic, however this seems to
be in the interest (other than the political rant) of programers and
taxpayers across the board.

Patrick