Fwd: [PLUG] And You Thought The DMCA Was Bad...

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 01:04:42 -0700 (MST)

Am 08. Sep, 2001 schwäzte Matt Alexander so:

> ----- Forwarded message from Alan <alan@clueserver.org> -----
> Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 11:49:11 -0700
> From: Alan <alan@clueserver.org>
> Subject: [PLUG] And You Thought The DMCA Was Bad...
> To: plug@pdxlinux.org
>
> Here is the next step in the progression.
>
> http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,46655,00.html
>
> This new law would mandate that ALL computers sold have government approved
> copy control hardware included.  And civil penalties if you don't.

Time to dust off the passport and make sure I can still work in a Free
Country.

I also don't think this could stand up in court. I've got the right to make
my own stuff and make copies of that. This goes way beyond the DMCA.

I think this law would make it impossible for many gov't agencies. Then
again, others would love it. Those same agencies will be the ones with the
ability to get around it...

ciao,

der.hans
--