image capture (was Feds and MIrcoslot

Thomas Mondoshawan Tate plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 8 Sep 2001 07:29:12 -0700

--ReaqsoxgOBHFXBhH

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 10:57:59PM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> Thomas Mondoshawan Tate wrote:
> >=20
>=20
> > > Have you seen this mail list?
> > >
> > > Vaio-pcg-c1-general <Vaio-pcg-c1-general@lists.sourceforge.net>
> >=20
> > Actually, I had no idea that list even existed. =3Dop
> > Thanks for the update. =3Do)
> >=20
> -----------
> My Sony C1X works exceptionally well in linux - I haven't dinked around
> with the camera but I haven't used it much in Windows either so other
> than gimmick value, it hasn't seen much action. As you can see from the
> list tho' there has been a lot of discussion about the software to drive
> the built-in camera.
>=20
> As a network sniffer - configurator device it can't really be beat - and
> one day, I plan to learn how to configure minicom to directly use a
> serial port (which this of course has none but I bought a USB serial
> device) to configure dsl modems / routers and stuff. Too little time, so
> much to do...
>=20
> We PictureBook owners have to stick together.
>=20
> Craig

Cool -- always good to meet another PictureBook owner. =3Do)
I use mine for everything from a Tribes 2 Linux Server to a graphics
workstation (it's the fastest chip in my lab -- 600MHz. Yes, I know, I'm
_way_ behind in technology right now, but I don't see a reason to upgrade
when Linux performs so well at <166MHz... except maybe when Morrowind comes
out... =3Dop).

Well, the camera isn't the main reason for writing that driver in the linux
kernel. Biggest issue has been working with the ACPI system on the thing.
For some bizarre reason, you have to play with a proprietary IO chip (the
infamous SPIC) to put the system into a full sleep mode (probably to turn
off the jogdial and the camera's digitizer chip). Also, without the SPIC
driver, it's impossible to use the jogdial or any of the Fn key combination=
s.

BTW, what kernel version are you running? I've been running 2.4.7, but when
I slapped 2.4.8 and 2.4.9 in, I couldn't start any programs that required a
pty -- couldn't open the slave pty after accessing the master, and it wasn't
because of permissions. O.o

--=20
Thomas "Mondoshawan" Tate
phoenix@psy.ed.asu.edu